I’ve made it easy for you to put together your own Emergency Survival Kit. Here are easy-to-follow checklists and recommended products for DIY Emergency Survival Kits. I also provide links to the products on Amazon that are highly rated and cost efficient.
My Emergency Survival Kit Checklists are based on FEMA‘s Basic Disaster Supplies List, which are the supplies needed for you to survive for at least 72 hours, and also based on FEMA’s Additional Emergency Supplies List.
With all the natural disasters we have going on right now, please don’t wait to prepare and protect your family!
DIY Basic Emergency Survival Kit Checklist
Additional Recommended Emergency Supplies
To complete your emergency prep (based on FEMA’s Additional Emergency Supplies List), you will want to add 3 days’ worth of:
- Important Family Documents in a Waterproof Container
- Toothbrush & Toothpaste
- Feminine Supplies
- Toilet Paper Roll (1 or 2 for the whole family)
- Baby Supplies (don’t forget formula & bottles, diapers & wipes)
- Pet Supplies
- Glasses & Contact Lens Solution
- Cash or Traveler’s Checks
- Change of Clothing & Shoes
- Emergency Sleeping Bag (this one actually fits 2 people)
- Emergency Poncho
- LifeStraw Personal Water Filter or Water Purification Tablets
- Fire Extinguisher
- Matches in a Waterproof Container
- Mess Kits/Paper Goods & Utensils, depending on the food you’re storing
- Paper & Pencil
- Kids’ Games & Activities
Use easy-to-carry bags or backpacks (here is a popular hiking backpack) so that you can grab-and-go if you need to evacuate quickly. Store the bags in a safe, easily accessible spot in your home.
Click here for a PDF of the Additional Emergency Supplies Checklist.
Remember to check your kits every year and rotate the items if they’re expired.
Prepare for the Worst, and Hope for the Best
Your family may never have to use an emergency kit. But with the ever-increasing natural disasters and commotion in the world, you need to be prepared. Do all you can now to keep your family safe.
Emergency Prep Links:
- How to Be Prepared For An Emergency in 6 Steps: Tips on how to prepare your family, based on my hurricane experiences.
- Shop for 72-Hour Emergency Survival Kits on Amazon: Don’t have the time to make your own kit? Order one of these ready-made kits!